Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I can be crafty too, you know.




So in general, I am not gifted in the crafting area. Sure, sure I get excited and energized when I go into Michael’s, however my finished products never truly live up my ideas. Take for example my some of good friends who are excellent crafters. When they make a piece of jewelry, it looks like an exquisite piece of art that people remark as “unbelievable.” My homemade jewelry is very believable. While I plan something beautiful, it seems to more closely resemble macaroni/plastic bead necklaces that 4 year old could make.
With that being said, I still do get a wild hair every once in a while to do something crafty. Most recently, I wanted to make Thanksgiving aprons. I wanted to do something nice for all the ladies who were going to help me cook the Thanksgiving meal. I love hosting Thanksgiving because everyone is together in the kitchen working and having a great time. It is loud; there are kids running in and out, and usually a few glasses of wine. Aprons would be the PERFECT little gift.
Here is the pattern that I found online. http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/marthas-dish-towel-apron
The day I found this, I went home super excited. This won’t be that hard, right? (I seem to always say that before a craft project.) I pulled out my sewing machine that I haven’t used in six years. I measured out my ribbon and pinned my fabric. I started sewing and….it looked like a 4 year old got a hold of some cloth and some ribbon. Darn! Not again!
So here I am with 10 dishcloths, lots of ribbon and a broken craft-loving heart. What’s a girl to do? I called my sister. Rebecca came up the day before Thanksgiving and cranked out TEN great looking aprons, including one for my 18 month old daughter. Next time I will just call her first when the crafting bug bites me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is hilarious! I am hardly the crafty one either. Rebecca looks great by the way!