Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The second child

I often think about birth order as I watch my two growing children and notice the differences between them. I am completely bought into the idea that birth order profoundly influences our individual personalities. After looking up 'birth order' on Wikipedia (what DOESN’T that site know), it turns out that birth order is widely unaccepted by psychologist. What do they mean, unaccepted?
With that being said, please take a look at the two pictures here of my second child and only daughter, Abby. In the first picture, she is cheesing in her girly pink shirt. In the second picture, the true story comes out.




Yes, that would be my little girl with her same pink shirt wearing a pair of Will’s hand-me-down jeans. In addition to the boy pants, you can also see Abby’s toys of choice are the cleaning supplies under my sink. She had deftly removed the child safety lock so she could play with the chemicals. When I found her, she was not ashamed or surprised; really she was proud of her ability to get into the locked cabinet. I laughed so hard that I had to take a picture before I locked the cabinet back and steered her back to the toys (some girly toys, but mostly trucks and light sabers).
No matter what is accepted regarding birth order, I know that birth order will have a profound effect on both Abby and Will. My first child never had enough unsupervised time for him to even try to get into a locked cabinet. My first child did not have hand-me-down clothes and he would certainly NOT wear clothes from a different gender group (Matt is kinda crazy about that).
Maybe it is the gender. Maybe it is my parenting style that has changed. Whatever it is, I am watching Abby grown into a little person who has different experiences and a different attitude than Will. Abby is going to be great no matter what birth order does or doesn’t do to her. She already is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh man, that gal is CUTE! I love that hilarious grin like, "yeah, I got in that cabinet, so what!"