Monday, October 4, 2010

Why daughters need a dad

Girls learn lots from their moms. I see Abby mimic me in ways that William never did. I am sure that Harper will do the same. The way Abby cuts her eyes and lifts her voice are things she got straight from me. I would like to reflect on the things that Matt gives my girls that only could come from him. Don't get me wrong, William will get these things from his dad right along with the girls but that is an obvious connection. William mimics Matt the way to Abby mimics me.

1. Wrestling moves. All the kids wrestle on the floor with Matt. Matt is teaching the girls as well as Will to wrestle. This picture was taken right before the wrestling started.
2. Dance Moves. Ask the majority of my college friends about trying to teach me how to dance. Even though they put much time and energy into teaching me dance moves, my groove still leaves lots to be desired. Matt on the other hand is a good dancer and will hopefully teach the kids.

3. How to relax. I can be a bit high strung. Here is me holding Harper at the bus stop one morning. I am trying hard to contain her squiggly baby moves. Matt on the other hand, does not try to contain her energy in the same way. He actually encourages it. 4. How to sleep. Matt is an excellent sleeper. My kids can sleep through anything. Most recently, we had a fire alarm that needed a new battery. Unfortunately, the smoke alarm did not register the new battery that we put into it. We had to remove it from the wall after two days of alarm chirping. All the children slept through it just fine. Abby even elected to sleep in the same room as the chirping alarm. I give the kids things too. They will remember my laundry folding parties and holding hands in the middle of the night when they come in to sleep next to my bed. I am sure they will look at this blog when they are older (because I will make them) and have their own memories of this time. But right now, while they are wrestling on the floor, I am glad Matt and I can use our strengths to give the kids - Will, Abby and Harper - something special.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a super sweet (and funny!) post, Anna...Jim is definitely the sleeper of the family and I *hope* he will continue to encourage Molly to sleep, too! And how true, about the mom constraining the movement while the dad eggs it on!

MamaDoo said...

Definitely teared up on that one. Cute!