Saturday, January 19, 2013

Target trip dreams of grandeur

I shop at target.  I shop at Target a lot.  For me, trips to Target have changed over the years.  I used to go all by myself, wander the aisles until I found everything I needed (or wanted) and go home when I was ready.

Then I had kids.
Now, instead of slowly cruising through the clothes clearance racks, I have learned to drive the massive kid cart up and down the aisle full of noisy toys that do not interest me.   I've learned hustle kids out of that toy aisle without buying anything but the birthday present that we came in for...and the popcorn, gallon of milk and diapers we also must have.  I can break up fights while checking out.  I have learned not to worry (as much) when one kid bolts down an aisle to look for a dora toy or a dessert or a movie that I won't buy for them. 

And then there were four.

Four rocked my world and my Target trips.  Going to Target with all four is a trial of my sanity, yet still I go.  Someone is always yelling.  The baby is usually crying (she doesn't like to sit in that little seat) and Will is mad that I won't let him stay home by himself and play x-box.  We usually have to run to the bathroom as soon as I have picked out the frozen food items.

Why, why, why do I do it?  I think I have Target trip dreams of grandeur.  I am remembering the days of easy Target shopping and think that I can do it again, just this time with the kids.  So into the store I go, chasing after all 4 kids, a gallon of milk and the memory of buying things for myself.  

I could just go to Target by myself at night, but I don't. This elusive dream of a easy Target trip now includes the thought of my kids playing nicely (and quietly) while I shop.  I just keep trying again because I can't stay away from Target...and I can't stay awake late enough to go by myself.

No comments: