Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Ode to Maternity Leave

On my last day of maternity leave, I felt like going out--with a poem.

Good-bye shower free days and easy hours reading a mystery,
These care-free eight weeks are now maternity leave history.
I enjoyed my time, cooking dinner every night
Even though the big kids never tried even one bite.
We lived through a round of the chicken pox and swine flu,
I am still hoping that Harper won’t get sick too.

Early on Monday morning the rush will start again,
With shoes, car seats and a long lost computer log-in.
I am looking forward to getting back to my seat,
Which will cut down on the left over halloween candy that I eat.
While I have loved every minute of maternity leave,
I am full of excitement on this return-to- work- eve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope your first day back went well! I miss maternity leave almost every day of my life...maternity leave rocks. I hope Harper also had a good first day in her new school :-)

Meg said...

That is incredible poetry, Anna! Hope your week back to work ran smoothly and the drop-off and pick-up of three kids at daycare is not wearing you down! Peace be with you.