Friday, February 12, 2010

Cherished Illusions of perfect motherhood

One of my best friends gave me this one year for birthday or Christmas and I love it. It sits in my kitchen window above my sink. I look at it all the time and it makes me smile. It reminds me not to take myself too seriously.

Cherished illusions I have:

1. One of my biggest opportunities (HR work speak) is that I need more patience. I often think that I am being VERY patient when in actuality I am rushing things-dinner, growing up, having bills paid off...I need to slow down.

2. Parenting would get easier as the children get older. It kinda does in certain areas, but new things come up! Babies don't fight with each other. Being fair was not an issue when they couldn't talk back.

3. My kids are always going to be well behaved. Again, everyone thinks this before they have kids. Not a big shocker. It is easy to have this illusion during the good times, not when your two year old is screaming for a sucker and has just had a poop in her pants instead of on the potty.

4. 29 used to be young and glamorous. I started looked at 'simply ageless' facewash the other day and thinking it was a good idea. I remember thinking that I would rule the world when I was this old. I kinda do now, but just at home with Will, Abby and Harper.

5. I won't get caught speeding/running a red light/having an out of date inspection. Over the last 6 months, I have been pulled over for all of these things. I vow to obey traffic rules better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used to think that 29 was a super cool age...then I saw a picture of myself. I didn't believe in plastic surgery until recently. :)

You cherish those illusions, Anna. Sometimes, that's all we've got to get us through the day.

Scott & Yael said...

Hey, at least you rule your home and kids. I can't even say that about myself...