Sunday, January 24, 2010

In Memoriam-My Mayme

My dad called me early on Sunday morning to let me know that my sweet Mayme passed away at 3am. She went peacefully, in her sleep. Mayme was over 90 years old, thoughtful, smart and always ready for a board game or cards.
I remember being a little girl and Mayme cooking up a storm. She would make pancakes and cookies and let us have a piece of cake, all at breakfast. I remember that she let us stay up late to finish a game of Monopoly. I remember that she would let me win.
As an adult, Mayme was so excited when called and I told her I was going to marry Matt. She was even more excited when I called her every time I was pregnant. She celebrated with me every time as if it was the first time. She would tell me stories about being married to my Papa or raising my dad and my Aunt Fran.
I told William and Abigail that Mayme is in heaven with Jesus now. They asked me why I was sad and I let them know that I was crying because I loved my Mayme and I was remembering all the good times with her. Kids have a way of knowing what you need. Will and Abby came and sat next to me and just gave me big hugs.
We love you Mayme and celebrate your life.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Anna, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. She sounds like an extraordinary person. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers this week.

Emily said...

Anna,
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mayme. It's wonderful that you have such great memories of her and that she got to see your precious children! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Emily

MamaDoo said...

That was so sweet Anna! I love that picture of your family too, and Mayme looks soooo happy! She sounds like she was a blessing in your lives in so many ways. Our love to your family.

Brittany said...

I've been thinking about you and your family all week...Andrew and I were both really sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. I am holding you in the light and wishing Mayme peace for her journey.

With love,
Brittany