Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What's for dinner?

I am not the best cook in the world. I muddle through with some of the old tried-and-true recipes, like spaghetti, meatballs, baked potatoes and baked chicken.
I do like to try new casserole recipes that I find, however sometimes they turn about a bit different than expected. I must give a shout out to Matt who will try anything. About a week ago, I made a chili recipe that I had made a few times before. This last time, it didn't turn out quite right. Because the kids needed something or Harper was crying, I didn't sit down and start eating until Matt had already finished his plate. I started eating while I was nursing Harper so I was slightly distracted. I ate a bite. Then another bite. Something was wrong. It did not taste good. Actually, it tasted bad. I looked at Matt and his already-finished plate.
I said, "Something is wrong with this chili," slightly surprised. As if it would change, I tried another bite. "Matt, did you notice that this chili tastes bad? What did you think?"
He just looked away and didn't say anything. He had eaten it all and not complained. He didn't have the words to agree with me (maybe he just couldn't look at me with a straight face, but hey, this is my story and my blog). Later in the week, he asked never to have that chili every again. He did not even crack a smile or laugh. God bless that man.
Well, I have redeemed myself. I have learned how to make pork bar-b-que in the crock pot and it tastes awesome. It tastes so good, I took a picture. We actually had it for dinner again tonight. We forced the kids to try a bite and they didn't like it. It's okay if they don't like it; I'm really cooking it for Matt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We LOVE bbq in the crock pot...sandwiches, quesadillas, by itself with corn and baked beans...mmm...I'd rather have that than the chicken and biscuits I have planned for tonight! I did make a turkey meatloaf that wasn't the best ever last night, and my poor, sweet husband "forgot" to take the leftovers for lunch today! Hahahahahaha!

I'm going to add you to my blogroll, if that's ok with you!

Scott & Yael said...

So did you ever figure out what was wrong with the chili?

K_Dub said...

Your chili story had me laughing tears. Last week, Aaron said, "You have tried more recipes in one year than I tried in the 27 years before I met you." That was his gentle way of saying that he wasn't sure about the ingredients I was throwing into the pot. I'll admit, not all of my concoctions have been tasty. But, my extra experimentation in the kitchen helps make up for my otherwise mundane law school life. The kitchen is one good place to spice things up!