Monday, May 10, 2010

Turns out, I don't like fishing in the ocean

On the last day of our beach vacation, Matt's dad chartered a boat to take us out fishing in the ocean. I was so excited. I packed a big cooler of beer, put on my sunscreen, and waved goodbye to Abby and Harper for the afternoon. I kept telling Will how much fun we were going to have on the ocean.
It was a beautiful day with clear skies and lots of sun. We got into the boat and headed out to sea. Wow, the boat was rocking a lot! That's okay, I will get used to it, right?
I did not get used to it. From 3pm until 8pm, I was nauseous. Soon after we got out there, Will started to feel bad. I knew he felt really bad when he said to me: "I want to go back and stay with Abby." So bad he wants to be with his sisters? Dang. The only person who felt worse than Will and me was Papa Tim.
While the three of us sat at the front of the boat feeling awful, Matt, his brother, and sister in law sat at the back of the boat with the captain. They laughed. They joked. They reeled in fish. The daggers I shot at them with my eyes did not phase them.
When we started moving again, I started feeling better. I looked over at Will but he didn't seem to be better yet. Very quietly at first and then a bit louder I heard: "I am Iron Man, I am Iron Man, I am Iron Man, I AM IRON MAN!"
Me: Will are you feeling better?
Will:(pause) Yeah, I guess I am.
Me: You ready to go back home now?
Will:(pause) I want to stay on the boat now. Do we have anything to eat?
He was better.

No comments: