Monday, January 3, 2011

Papa Tim


Today was Papa Tim's birthday, he would have been 60. Papa Tim passed away December 29th 2010. It came very suddenly and unexpectedly. Oh Papa Tim, I will miss you.
Tim was Matt's dad and immediately welcomed me into his family. He took my side when Matt and I disagreed (except on politics). He helped with the kids and loved them fiercly.
And even when we didn't agree on politics, he did not engage me in political arguments because he knew I didn't like it- and he loved to argue about politics. Thanks Papa Tim for that courtesy. I never thanked you for that.
Papa Tim had a brash sense of humor. When I asked him to dial it back around the kids, I would say, "Oh Papa Tim (sigh). You can't say that. Oh Papa Tim (sigh) you can't watch that around the kids. Oh Papa Tim (sigh) don't do that." After a few years with the kids, he would prompt me to call him out after he had done something he knew would cross my "Oh Papa Tim" line. He would flash me a big, sheepish grin. He would say "Anna, I know what you are going to say," and then he would say it to himself before I could get to it: "Oh Papa Tim."
Even though we take comfort that you have gone to a better place, we miss you Papa Tim. We miss your off-color jokes and you falling asleep on the couch. We miss you playing with the kids and your laughter.
Oh Papa Tim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anna, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. It's never easy, but this can be such a difficult time of the year. I'll be thinking of you.